Lanna Lee at Stonecoast

Friday, July 28, 2006

Exercise

The task: Take an abstract concept and use concrete images to describe it.

The Poem:

Ideas


My first memory is of a huge hole, dug for a septic tank.

I learned you shouldn’t scream as loud as you can, it scares children.

My junior high guidance counselor advised me that I should not go to college.

I slept on the day bed in the living room when I visited Gramp and Grammy Nettie. Grammy Nettie and I sat at the kitchen table, shooting the breeze. She slathered butter onto saltine crackers and popped them into her gummy mouth. Sometimes she spread ketchup instead. We doodled roses and daisies on scrap paper. I played with the salt and pepper shakers like they were soldiers. I tore paper into tiny pieces. Grammy Nettie slapped my hand when I reached for the tea bags. There were quotes on the tags.

I want my friends to meet my dad. He’s very silly.

I don’t really remember where I was when the Space Shuttle Columbia crashed. I guess I was at school.

For a time I was known by some as Flanna Flea Flayheux.

I once wrote a play about Swaziland. It had cannibals in it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home